read our latest posts here
- Gender Policy Redesign A Boost For Mental HealthA new policy on gender surgery is likely a boost to mental health sector. Aetna is updating its commercial insurance policies to include gender-affirming surgeries for transgender women, after several patients came forward who had been denied coverage for breast augmentation. Aetna worked with a law firm and a nonprofit organization representing these women to … Continue reading Gender Policy Redesign A Boost For Mental Health
- Young Adult Vaping Use Down, Depression UpAccording to a Mayo Clinic study mental health effects from the pandemic include significant changes in mental well-being and substance abuse among young adults. The study shows that alcohol abuse among young adults increased from early March of 2020 while use of tobacco and vaping decreased. Mayo Clinic researchers found elevated levels of isolation, anxiety … Continue reading Young Adult Vaping Use Down, Depression Up
- 6 Stories Of Resilience, RecoveryIt may not be Walter Cronkite with Eisenhower or Barbara Walters with Streisand but in this fireside chat style 2-hour Q&A we tried to go behind the scenes with 5 companies interviewing 7 healthcare innovators around their novel approach to addiction and depression recovery and to changing the path for those with poor housing, food … Continue reading 6 Stories Of Resilience, Recovery
- Misunderstood: How To Treat AnxietyAnxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States or 18% of the population especially young adults, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, but it is often misunderstood. Therapist Patrick McGrath, Ph.D. McGrath has treated obsessive compulsive disorder and other forms of … Continue reading Misunderstood: How To Treat Anxiety
- Neurological Fallout Of CovidAs a respiratory virus, COVID-19 predominately targets the lungs and kidneys but a new study is offering evidence that the virus also invades brain cells and about half of patients report neurological symptoms, including headaches, confusion and delirium. The study has not yet been peer reviewed for publication, but several researchers say it provides compelling … Continue reading Neurological Fallout Of Covid
- COVID Puts Stress On ScientistsCOVID has proven to be alarming for scientists and researchers who are rushing to find answers so much so that 40% of nearly 4,000 STEM Ph.D. students at the University of Minnesota reported symptoms consistent with generalized anxiety disorder and 37% with major depressive disorder, numbers as much as 19% higher compared with 2019. Microbiologists, … Continue reading COVID Puts Stress On Scientists
what is the behavioral health hour?
This site, first published as a newspaper column in the early 2000s, chronicles personal perspectives as well as our own outcomes research and insights from clinicians, patients, families, coaches and managed care leaders looking to drive positive changes in access and treatment and outcomes.